A single step...


I've tried about 12 times now to start this post, and I'm not quite sure how to begin. There's a lot to say, but not all of it is important just yet. I'll start with the basics and go from there.


Four days ago, I left Cincinnati for an adventure- For something that I know will stretch me, and that I hope will grow me. The goal is this- to drive a motorcycle from home in Cincinnati to the southern tip of South America, Tierra del Fuego. The trip will be a minimum of 16,000 miles and the one way trip will take roughly three months to complete.

The bottomline is that if I were looking for a vacation, there's any number of better options out there. Cancun, Cabo, Cleveland. Just about anything would be more relaxing and stress free than what I'm talking about here. But I'm not looking for a vacation, I'm looking for a challenge. When I started dreaming about this trip, I relegated it to "bucket-list" status: Something that I'd like to do one day, but could comfortably assume I'd get to it later... Besides, I'm a reasonably healthy guy, I like to think I've got a solid 80 years in me before I kick the bucket.

As I thought about it I realized that there are lots of good, pragmatic reasons not to do a trip like this. It's dangerous, it's expensive, it's time consuming, it's lonely... the list goes on.
But after some conversations with friends and some reflection myself, I realized there was only one reason I wasn't willing to try it now- It was fear.

I'm in a pretty unique place in life right now- Where I have some money set aside. Where I have time to spare. Where I have flexibility from family and relational commitments that might keep me from attempting this later on. At some point I realized I was out of excuses. The only one I had is that I was afraid. And to be honest, I still am. Here are some examples- all just from today. Trying to figure out Immigration and Customs without knowing the language or procedure, surviving latin america big city driving, getting hopelessly lost in the wrong part of town after your paper map flies off your bike at 70mph and your GPS proves to be utterly worthless.

So yes, I'm terrified about what I'm attempting. I'm aware of the size of it. And Is there a good chance I might not make it? Yup. There's a very good chance I'll have to stop part way and come back later on to finish it up. I'm okay with that. Because, frankly the destination isn't the point, and it never has been. I'll do whatever I can to get as far as I can. And beyond that, we'll see. The important thing is what I'll learn along the way. I believe that all real growth comes from challenges- like muscles being torn and stretched only to reform stronger.

I apologize for the long, rant of a post. I just wanted to lay the foundation for what's coming.
But, today has been absolutely insane, and I'm exhausted. Good night! I'll write tomorrow about my time at orphanages and a shanty town in Monterrey.
Andy

8 comments:

Ellen Karns said...

GREAT POST DREW! Love it. Thanks for reminding me about the journey and not the destination - in such a real life example. You are super courageous and inspiring. Teach us everything that you are learning on the road!!

maeklingler said...

Andy - you are one amazing dude (and a GREAT writer!) I can't wait to keep hearing the stories that come from this trip.

D'Vine Missions said...

Andy -- this is so cool and you are so courageous. I can't wait to read along!
I don't know if your travels take you through Colombia but if they do I have many friends in Bogota that would let you crash or give you a good meal if you need it. I also know of an amazing (and inspiring) orphanage that you could visit for the day. If you'd like more info on either shoot me an email.
wrightb4@gmail.com

God Speed!

Brooke Wright

Unknown said...

Woohooo!!! We are so excited for your trip And so proud of you!
Avery wanted to tell you "I hope you have a great trip and I want you to come to my house. I miss you." As she dances around the corner.
Much Love
Dana

Karen Reider said...

I love you crazy!! You're incredible and I believe in your ability to pull this off in amazing ways...Can't wait to keep on reading!!

Karen

Rob said...

Dude, that is going to be one amazing trip! We'll be praying for you as you cruise along on your BeemDubs through the Americas. It is the perfect time in your life to do it, as you said. I'll look forward to checking out your photos and reading your blog.

I do miss hangin' out with you guys back in the Nati. I'm never there long enough to do anything. On your way back you should stop by Bloomington. You're welcome anytime. If you can't, we'll come see you.

Though you needed a drummer for many years and I filled that role for you, this is when you really need me...to do your interpreting for you haha. You'll be going through 10-15 countries that all speak my 2nd language! Buena suerte with that bro!

Rob Reider said...

I'm proud of you, Andy!

3

Unknown said...

you. are. a. BEAST! Im excited to see what this trip has in store for you. Im praying for you broski!

Post a Comment